Maintaining Quality Traditions
Coates Butchers is owned and run by Ivan Lowther who having managed H Coates and Son for many years took over the shop at Coxhoe in 2008. Keeping the name as Coates Butchers as a mark of respect to his former Boss Harry Coates Snr, Ivan and his butchery staff remain committed all of the old recipes and traditional methods that had made the Coates name synonymous with superior quality and taste. These butchery methods are carried out in full view of the customers by out skilled butchers who have over 50 years of butchery the Coates way between them. Butchery classes are available, please contact us for details.
It's not just the Butchery side of things that remains true to its roots; the bakery still produces Coates Famous Pies to the recipes handed down over the years. Ivan says, 'At Coates Butchers we are committed to manufacturing and supplying only the best quality products and have won many prestigious Smithfield awards, the industries major awards. This event is run by the Butchers Q Guild an organisation representing the countries elite butchers of which Coates Butchers are members gaining A grade standards for quality, service and hygiene'.
Some of the products and service provided by friendly, knowledgeable and helpful staff are:-
- Matured Scotch Beef and Extra Matured Scotch Steaks (21 day hung, a standard demanded by the countries best chefs);
- Free Range Pork by Annas Happy Trotters of Yorkshire
- Durham Dry Cured Bacon (produced and sliced in store);
- All Poultry is reared to at least Freedom Foods Standards;
- Hand made Sausages and Burgers using traditional methods and premium quality ingredients.(all sausages have a meat content of 70% or over);
- Ready meals prepared by our experienced in house Chef;
- Home cooked meats, scotch beef, free range pork 100% turkey breast and ox tongue;
- Traditional savoury products made on the premises savaloys, black pudding, scotch eggs to name a few;
- Copas Traditional Turkeys;
- Catering service; and
- Hog Roast service available for all occasions - ask for details
Coates Butchers in Coxhoe are independent and not associated with any other butchers in the area.
Address: Coates Butchers, 19 Church Street Coxhoe Durham DH6 4DD.T
Telephone: 0191 3772613
Or visit us in the future at www.coatesbutchers.com
Top of page