From time to time the Town Council are required to make Notices available to the Public on a variety of subjects, these will be displayed as and when required.
Elections to Barnard Castle Town Council – 2 May 2013
The next countywide elections will take place on 2 May 2013. These will be full elections for both the County Council and town/parish councils within County Durham.
Following The Boundary Committee for England’s review of electoral arrangements in County Durham, from this election, there will be two Town Council Wards (East and West divided by the main road through the Town) with the Barnard Castle North Ward subsequently abolished.
There are twelve seats on the Town Council, divided equally across the two wards. Anyone seeking to stand for election to Barnard Castle Town Council must be aged 18 or over, be a registered elector, reside in (or within three miles of) the parish boundary, hold a relevant business interest in the Town or be employed here. Each nomination must be proposed and seconded by residents who are registered to vote in the chosen ward.
Any person who is interested in either standing to become a Town Councillor can collect Nominations Forms from the Town Council office or by contacting the Electoral Services Office at Durham County Council, tel. 03000 261212 or email, firstname.lastname@example.org. To view information on Durham County Council's Elections please select the link.
The Clerk and the Assistant Clerk can assist with queries in respect of the completion of Nomination forms but are unable to confirm their validity. The paperwork must be returned direct to the County Council’s Electoral Services division and cannot be accepted in the Town Council’s office.
The full 2013 election timetable is as follows:-
• Publication of notice of election: Monday 18 March 2013
• Receipt of nominations forms: Noon Friday 5 April 2013
• Publication of Statements of Persons Nominated: Noon Tuesday 9 April 2013
• Withdrawal of Candidate: Noon Wednesday 10 April 2013
• Appointment of election agents: Noon Wednesday 10 April 2013
• Publication of Notice of Election Agents: Wednesday 10 April 2013
• Last date for registration: Wednesday 17 April 2013
• Receipt of postal vote applications: 5:00pm Wednesday 17 April 2013
• PUBLISH NOTICE OF POLL; Wednesday 24 April 2013
• Receipt of Proxy Vote Applications: 5:00pm Wednesday 24 April 2013
• Appointment of Poll and Count Agents: Thursday 25 April 2013
• First day to issue replacement lost postal ballot papers: Friday 26 April 2013
• Lost or spoilt ballot papers: 12:00am to 5:00pm Thursday 2 May 2013
• Receipt of Emergency Proxy Vote Applications: 5:00pm Thursday 2 May 2013
• Last day to issue replacement spoilt or lost postal ballot papers: 5:00pm Thursday 2 May 2013
• Day of Poll: 7:00am to 10:00pm Thursday 2 May 2013
• Declaration of candidates expenses: Thursday 30 May 2013
Please note that these dates and times will be strictly adhered to by the Returning Officer.
Top of page